Monday, June 25, 2012

Homemade Gifts Are The Best.


As a child, I fondly remember the act of creating gifts for my parents.  Often times, my craft of love took the shape of a hand made card which was usually folded to resemble a heart with the sentiment of my adoration scribbled on both sides of the pink construction paper.  Part of my joy in the creation was when my parents would gush over how much my gift meant to them, and then my art would quickly find its way to the coveted space for any child's work- the refrigerator door.  There, it would remain for weeks until my parents elected to take it down.  Usually, it was only to be replaced by yet another card.

Today, I witnessed adults' labor of love which was beautifully and thoughtfully created by Dr. Clement and Mrs. Sue Ellen Bloom.  The hand-fashioned treasure came in the magnificently stunning form of a boat which was hand made and  hand painted with love by the Blooms.  Now, its place in this world will be assisting the Virginia Beach SPCA's Wildlife Program where it will enable the water-rescue and assistance of  injured wildlife for many years to come.

So, as I run my hand over a smooth side of this unnamed vessel, I am reminded that my parents were right all along.  Homemade gifts really are the best.
~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment