Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My morning with Mocha


As a Humane Educator, part of my job entails bringing an animal to schools throughout Hampton Roads with the hope of providing them with a lesson that is aligned with the Virginia State Standards of Learning and the Beach SPCA's mission to promote a compassionate community.  While this month's lesson was regarding Habitats, I think the teachable moment was brought to the children by the animal I selected to accompany me, this morning.

Mocha is an 8-year old yellow Lab that was found tethered to a handicap sign in the VBSPCA parking lot, last week.  When my coworker arrived at 7 am, he was already there:  shaking, wet, and terrified.  It was quite obvious he had been there for several hours, and he had a note which stated how much he was loved but couldn't be kept; however, it is hard to muster sympathy for a family that would resort to abandoning a loyal dog after 8 long years of companionship.  Would he have done that to them?  I think not.

So, while I was teaching the children of Ocean Lakes Elementary School about protecting wildlife and their habitats by not littering, Mocha was teaching those same children about the importance of loyalty, responsibility, kindness, and compassion.  At the end of our 30 minute lesson, it was obvious who the true teacher was, today.

Thank you for the lesson, Mocha.
-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment